9 Sept 2009

Stockfinster - Dead line

Stockfinster - Dead Line (2009)

stockfinster is the artistic name of Sebastian Borg (a.k.a. Batti), a producer from Malmö, Sweden. He writes, plays, arranges and mixes everything, sometimes with a little help from his musical friends. One of them is Helena Josefsson, who has recorded the vocals of some songs in his recording studio, Gula Studion in Malmö.
2005 Sebastian Borg ("Batti") - stockfinster

stockfinster unofficially uploaded three works, Red wood (June, 2004), Sunset (January, 2005) and Car Crash (June, 2009) in Bandcamp.com. He also released his debut album, All becomes music (October, 2005), in Sutemos, an On-line label from Lithuania.

His second official album is Dead line
and can be downloaded for free in Sutemos today. The album includes thirteen songs:


This is what Sebastian Borg himself tells about the album:
"It's been four years since my last release at Sutemos. So what have I been up to? I guess the answer lies in the music you are about to download. My production rate just keeps getting slower and slower and I have reluctantly started to accept that this is just the way I am; I am simply unable to speed up the creative process. I have actually considered to stop making music altogether just to get rid of this frustration, but I know this is not possible. I have no choice but to keep on working and to try and at least finish something... anything ...

So why does it take such a long time? The answer is choices. Every idea, no matter how small, offers an endless amount of new ideas and possibilities that you must either choose to pursue or ignore. Some people are able to make this choice very quickly but I am simply unable to leave any stone unturned. I spend hours, if not days and months, working on a track just to scrap the whole thing and start over from scratch again. This is, of course, a time consuming process, but I can not have it any other way. I have found that if I do not let this process take place, the track will never sit right with me. It will feel unfulfilled and I will most probably not like it. I need to live with a track for a long period of time to be able to decide which direction to go next. So, in fact, it is not that I work on my songs for a long time, I just work on them for a long period of time. There is a difference.

I always try to do everything myself, but often I have to look to my dear friends for help. Without these people, my music would not be the same. Thank you, guys!

All tracks are mastered by Ola Strandh except on tracks 6 and 12.

All vocals are by Helena Josefsson except on track 11 .
  • 01. 'Push Push' (from "Red wood", 2004)
  • 02. On 'Daypusher', the spoken voice is Kerim Arhan. Some extra sounds were provided by Magnus Hedberg. Callin Ohrvall Delmar also contributed a lot to this track.
  • 03. On 'Think Again' (from "Car crash", 2009), the trumpet was played by Petter Lindgard.
  • 04. 'Poly6' (from "Sunset", 2005)
  • 05. 'Knuckle' (from "Sunset", 2005)
  • 06. On 'Gold Canyon', the Rhodes was played by Mats Bengsson. This song was mastered by Christoffer Leary at Melograf Mastering.
  • 07. 'Mitglieder'
  • 08. 'Slow Ghost'
  • 09. 'Don't Point Your Paw At Me' (from "Sunset", 2005)
  • 10. On 'Sailing Through The Bardo', the chord progression was written and played by Markus Slivka
  • 11. On 'Seventeen Days', Callin Ohrvall Delmar is singing
  • 12. 'The Cabin' was mastered by myself.
  • 13. 'The Dead'
So here you have thirteen new tracks. They range from very old to brand new tracks, but I don't think it is obvious which ones are which. As I listen back to this collection of songs I feel happy. There are no stones left unturned. Everything is in its right place. I hope you will feel the same way." Enjoy."
So five songs come from previous works. Helena Josefsson's voice features in most of the tracks that include vocals, although it does not seem she has been in the studio again: many of the original recordings were made between 2003 and 2005 in Gula Studion. Anyway, a great opportunity to listen to Helena again.

2 comments:

Alberto Fuente said...

I need more time to listen to these bizarre songs, but I find them really relaxing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I like these songs very much